Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Contact lens solution allergy and GPC  (Read 5170 times)

eyesite_admin

  • Administrator
  • Jr. Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 80
Contact lens solution allergy and GPC
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2011, 02:13:07 PM »

Q: I am a contact lens wearer.  About two years ago, during my annual ophthalmologist visit, I mentioned to the doctor that my eyes often felt itchy, especially late in the day.  Without checking the insides of my eyelids, he stated that this was probably due to some smallish bumps that could have developed on the inside of my eyelids, that were rubbing against my contacts.  He prescribed some Crolom drops, that I was to apply twice a day.  He stated that I could continue to wear my contact lenses during the two weeks I was to administer the drops.
I noticed some improvement with the medication, but now I have the same problem.  I have been only wearing my contacts during the day and taking them out every night, to avoid the itching and mild burning.  Should I wear my glasses exclusively for a while, to let my eyes have "a rest"?  What causes these supposed red bumps to develop anyway?  How did the doctor know they were there, without looking?
P.S. I have always used OptiFree Solution, if that matters.
A: It is,of course, not possible to see the "little bumps" without looking for them. Once looked for, they can be so small as to be undetectable or they can be so large they merit the name of the disorder known as "Giant Papillary Conjunctivitis" (GPC). This condition is much less prevalent now with most soft lens wearers using disposable or planned replacement lenses. The most commonly accepted idea for the cause of "GPC" is an allergy of the eye to the surface film which builds up on all contact lenses. Crolom, a mast cell stabilizer, is used to decrease the allergic symptoms.
More likely,though, is a sensitivity to contact lens solution chemicals. In my busy contact lens practice, one of the first plans of attack for a problem like yours is to switch to disposables, if you're not all ready in them and to use ClearCare for disinfecting the lenses. This product is a combination of hydrogen peroxide and saline. When left for more than six hours in the special case with the special "disk" (very important!!) all the peroxide goes away and the lenses are left in harmless, non-allergenic, saline. On your next eye doctor visit, ask if this might be for you.

Eyesite Vision Correction Forum

Contact lens solution allergy and GPC
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2011, 02:13:07 PM »